Wednesday, November 5, 2008

New President and a New Day

As I was listening to the acceptance speech on my ride home last night, every minute or two I got this eerie feeling that something terrible might happen. I specifically remember hearing a helicopter over the NPR audio I was listening to, and creeping out a bit when I thought the worst might happen. I thought of JFK, and John Lennon, I thought of Lincoln and even Reagan. The wackos are out there and I am not sure that we could really stop them if they really know what they are doing.

Later in the evening, my lovely lady had the keen eye to make out a layer of glass on each side of Obama while on stage, thereby connecting the dots and remarking that there was definitely bulletproof glass surrounding his podium. Even people (I spoke to a couple personally) who were at the event did not notice the 4 inches of glass used as a bulletproof wall to protect the nation's future. That proposes some interesting thought exercises that I am not sure I feel comfortable entertaining at this juncture.



I don't really have much else to say since I am kind of sleepy and a little tipsy on some red wine, but I want to put some words down from a friend of mine named Charlie. He put these words to me last night after the acceptance speech and I think they fit the moment just right.

"Tomorrow I can go back to being a cynical prick, but tonight...tonight I have hope"

God bless America...

No comments: