Sunday, October 5, 2008

Smoked Salman, Osso Bucco, and Indy

We had a nice evening yesterday, I made some lamb osso bucco (the sauce could have cooked longer, but it was a successful first attempt) and had some friends over. We made boudin balls, and watched a Star Trek episode and then put on The Last Crusade. Everytime I watch that movie a flood of memories and nostalgia rush through me. I remember watching it for the first time in the theatre with my parents and my sister, I remember watching it with my cousin during late-night sleepovers, and I remember almost every line of that movie. Its really hard for me to sit back and watch without quoting everything the second before it happens on screen.

"IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!"

"No Ticket"

"In Latin, Jehovah starts with an I"

"Let my armies be the rocks and the tress... and the birds in the sky"

"You were named after the dog?" "I have very fond memories of that dog"

So I mitigated my own intrusions while everyone else was watching by smoking some salmon throughout the movie. I brined it earlier in the day with some brown sugar, salt, and garlic. I washed it out and set it up to dry while the smoker was getting ready. Got a good smoke going for a little over 2 hours, and I tell you what - the stuff is like candy for adults, it came out amazing. I am about to put together an omelet with it, I have been dreaming about it all night. I only made about two slabs, but it should be enough to give us some finger food throughout the week - better than potato chips or cookies.

I also kind of want to say something about these debates and the presidential race, but I will save it until I can pull all my thoughts together. I will say this, I'm glad its been relatively clean, and I think we will end up with Better then Bush either way. I will miss Bushy though, one of the most quotable presidents ever, at least for comedy's sake. "Most of our imports come from other countries", "I'm a decider", "So long as I'm the president, my measure of success is victory -- and success."

Intellgence can only take you so far in this world.

No comments: